Friday, September 4, 2015

Interruptions give opportunities...

"Lord, you have been our dwelling place in all generations. Before the mountains were brought forth or ever you had formed the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God. For a thousand years in your sight are but as yesterday when it is past, or as a watch in the night. So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom. Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days. Make us glad for as many days as you have afflicted us, and for as many years as we have seen evil. Let your work be shown to your servants and your glorious power to their children. Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us, and establish the work of our hands upon us; yes, establish the work of our hands" ps. 90

To travel with Brett is a mountaintop experience with him: for 5 years I have been a support to him thru the testimonials of his moments in Kenya. Being en route with him to Kenya is such a gift of opportunity. To love on our African community in the proximity of togetherness is such a testament of the work of His hands. I love this visual in Ps. 90 that God is OUR dwelling; be it in Kenya, or in the States, or outstretched around the world- that God draws in His people for the intent of knowing His dwelling- its the place where our hearts live.

As I sit in the ATL airport with 24 hours of flight delays behind me and 5 more hours ahead of me, I feel the pouring of Ps. 90 even more. Kenya, as most of you who may read this will know, is a home of my heart that will always be treasured. But, i am reminded that I can't let my heart miss what's before me here, in the now, because of a yearning to be connected oceans away. God is my dwelling as I am delayed in being there and He is my dwelling as I connect in Kenya. How am I responding to my day with that truth residing in me?

So, naturally, I am eager- most eager to BE there and not in this airport at this time. Its disappointing, its frustrating, but the reality is that its out of my control.
  Interruptions give opportunities otherwise not allowed:
 Forced stillness reaps wandering thoughts to be navigated by the experiences that direct your path. Waiting allows for eyes to be opened to see the moving parts around your circumstances. Thus, allowing you to either choose to embrace what has been given or to mourn what's been lost. 

"Asking God, 'what can I learn?' instead of 'why me?' is a much better place to park our minds." LT

So, as I sit with the opportunity to witness an array of people's reactions to the same circumstance out of our control, I am reminded of "What can I learn?"

Observations of the stilled moments watching people react:

- Extending frustration with intense anger does nothing to help a situation. Instead, it blinds one from seeing how others really are showing support in your need.
- Go with the Flow is such a vital necessity to embrace the moving parts our of our control.
- Interruptions often just magnify what is within. As other parts of life seem overwhelming, interruptions intensify negative emotions often being felt.

Each person has the choice of how life affects their disposition:
= to see the good or the bad
= to focus on disappointment or adaptability
= to let forced stillness teach you or dishearten you.

Although my heartstrings are stretched immensely to miss a full day in Kenya, I am reminded that my opportunity to be there is not of myself in the first place. God has provided for this trip and He knows what moments I need while there. Releasing the tensions as I travel with Brett and focusing on the moments I can see teach me instead of dishearten me. May I not miss the work of His hands because I am too fixated on what's ahead of me. God has me in the now and there are vulnerable, weary hearts all around us. May I fixate on how our reactions to the same situation display His grace and His compassion and give opportunity to speak the gospel into others lives who do not have that dwelling.

No comments: